by James Adams
This is the first installment of Future Fridays, where you find out what XY Unlimited dreams about when it’s sleeping. Sometimes you can change the future by leaving us feedback about our plans!
A wise man once asked the universe, “what be a band if that band doth not tour?”
The universe did not respond. “Exactlieth,” said the wise man.
Starting mid-November 2013, we’ll be leaving on our second journey up the West Coast. Last time, we made a beeline to Spokane, WA for our first National Association of Campus Activities (NACA) showcase, which also netted us our first college gigs. It’ll be hard to top that tour, which included:
- Thai food in the middle of Oregonian wilderness
- an extended showcase for twelve locals in a Western-themed Medford ballroom – booked three hours prior
- a headline performance at a tech-startup costume party
- and an impromptu jam with Reno 911! cast members and Ray Charles’ protégé, Ellis Hall.
Yes, it’ll be hard to top that tour…but lord knows we’ll do our best. In order to maximize our chances of awesomeness, we’ve assembled the following objectives:
- Play for rescued pigeons at the MickaCoo Pigeon & Dove Rescue. Attempt to become their spokesband.
- Join forces with some local a cappella groups to break the record for most singers onstage with XY at one time.
- Return to the western-themed Medford ballroom, and break our attendance record by getting the entire city to show up!
- Find the dream of the ’90s in Portland.
As you can see, we haven’t got this 100% figured out yet. Do you live on or have you ever been to the West Coast (CA, OR, WA…and maybe AZ)? Know a great venue nearby? Know a great coffee shop, pizza place, or other untraditional venue that might love some XY Unlimited? Do you think we’re doomed? Let us know in a comment below!